Smart and Skilled
Smart and Skilled is reform for the New South Wales Vocational Education and Training (VET) system that came into effect 1 January 2015. Smart and Skilled is overseen and regulated by State Training Services, in the Department of Industry.
Funding under Smart and Skilled provides eligible students subsidised training to assist with job opportunities and career development.
This training is subsidised by the NSW Government. NORTEC Training Solutions has been allocated funding under Smart and Skilled for the following traineeships.
Eligible students are provided with:
- Government-subsidised training up to and including Certificate III
- Government funding for higher-level courses (Certificate IV and above) in targeted priority areas
You can determine your eligibility for Smart and Skilled training on the NSW Smart and Skilled Eligibility Checker.
To be eligible for Smart and Skilled funding at the time of enrolment in an approved qualification you must either:
- Live or work in NSW (determined by postcode of the usual place of residence or place or work)
- Live in a defined interstate NSW border area (as identified by a postcode in the list set out in the Operating Guidelines) and is Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
You must also:
- Be an Australian citizen
- Be a permanent Australian resident
- Be a humanitarian visa holder
- Be a New Zealand citizen, and
- Are aged 15 years or older, and
- Are no longer in secondary education, and
- Comply with any relevant program eligibility criteria outline
Full Qualification Eligibility
In addition to the general eligibility, to be able to receive subsidised funding under Smart and Skilled Entitlement Full Qualification Program you must not have completed a post-school qualification at Certificate IV level or higher.
Note that if a person acquires a disability after completion of post-school qualification at Certificate IV level or higher and needs retraining in a new entry level career, and provides sufficient evidence that the qualification is necessary as part of a rehabilitation program and that the injury was sustained post school qualification then that person will be eligible to receive Subsidised Training in that Qualification.
Apprenticeships and Traineeships Program Eligibility
In addition to the general eligibility to be able to receive subsidised funding under Smart and Skilled Entitlement Apprenticeship and Traineeship Program you must:
- At the time of Commencement in an Approved Qualification be an Apprentice or New Entrant Trainee and have a Training Contract; and
- Have the Approved Qualification shown on your Training Contract.
Note: Those whom are approved or registered as Existing Worker trainees are not eligible for subsidised training under Smart and Skilled Program.
Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships Eligibility
Fee-Free Scholarships commenced on the 1 July as part of the NSW Government’s Reskilling NSW initiative. If you meet the requirements you will not need to pay a fee for your qualification.
To be eligible for Free-Free Scholarships a student must:
- Meet the Smart and Skilled personal and program eligibility rules;
- Be aged between 15-30 years old when the start training;
- Be wanting to study a Smart and Skilled subsidised Certificate 1-Certificate IV level qualification on the NSW Skills List that begins on or after 1 July 2015 (see www.smartandskilled.nsw.gov.au).
Priority guaranteed will be given to students whom meet the above criteria and whom as also living in or currently on the waiting list for NSW Social Housing. Please refer to the Smart and Skilled Application for additional information related to eligibility and further information related to social housing. Under Smart and Skilled the NSW Government will contribute to the cost of your course and you will be required to pay a student fee, which will depend on previous completed qualifications and circumstances. Fees are based on the whole course rather than costed annually. Fee exemptions and concession may be available.
Additional information regarding the above qualifications delivered by NORTEC can be found on this website.
- Smart and Skilled Fee Administration Policy
- Fee-Free Scholarships – What is Concession-Eligible?
- Fee-Free Eligibility Diagram
- Fee-Free Information for Students